Saturday, January 21, 2012

Reality


The reality of my life is that I am overweight. I have been for about ten years or so, and I am tired of it. Tired of being tired all the time. Tired of not being able to keep up with my kids. Tired of hating shopping. Tired of not being comfortable in my clothes (or my skin for that matter).

A friend posted a status on Facebook about signing up for the Color Run.  I HATE running. Always have. But I LOVE how lean and fit runners' bodies tend to be. What better way to motivate an art teacher to take up running then to have a 5K that throws paint on the runners at every kilometer? I signed up that same day. Then I figured I'd better get my butt in gear, I only had four months to be ready! Luckily, another friend saw my status post about joining the race and told me she used a program called Couch to 5K to train for her first race. It's perfect!

The first day of training was a 5 minute walk, 1 minute run, 5 minute walk. I am not exaggerating when I say I was so out of shape that one solid minute of running nearly did me in. It was pure and complete torture. However, I knew it would get easier and I owe it to myself and my family to just do it (as Nike would say). I am starting my fourth week of training (out of ten) and am happy to say I can run for seven minutes without stopping or killing myself! Tomorrow I up it to eight. 

A couple of weeks into my training, a friend invited me to join her on Lose It! It is a website (and app if you have an i-something or Android) that tracks caloric intake and calories burned through exercise.  When I signed up I put in my starting weight (218, yikes!), my goal weight, and how much I want to lose each week (1, 1 1/2, or 2 pounds). The site then gave me a calorie budget and the date I will reach my goal. This has helped me so much! I've always known I'm a food addict and eat way too much, but I didn't really know to what extent. The site has completely changed how I view food. It's amazing how many things are known as being healthy that really aren't. For example, my husband bought me some Cinnamon Raisin Granola for breakfast. The portion size is 3/4 C and has 230 calories! Compared to the girls' super sugary Cinnamon Toast Crunch that has a serving size of 1 C and only 110 calories. Crazy! I have a long way to go, but right now I am down 7.8 pounds, which is roughly 10% of my goal. I know I am in for a long journey and that I will probably always be fighting this battle. It sure feels good to be doing something for myself though!

No comments:

Post a Comment