Saturday, November 10, 2012

Diva Dash 10K

Today I ran in my first race that is longer than a 5K. I have been working on the "Couch to Half Marathon" training program, and the longest I've run is seven miles. I figured six would be fine. It was certainly a tough race for me.

My goals going in were pretty simple; finish, don't walk at all, and (in my craziest dreams) PR. If you read this blog, you know two weeks ago I had an amazing training run at 8:30-9:30 mile pace for six miles. I still don't know how I did it! Last night I looked back on Lose It! to see what I ate the night before that run, and ate a similar meal. I got a good night of sleep and was feeling pretty good, albeit nervous at the starting line. My first mile came in at 9:25. Sadly, that was my fastest mile. I got a severe pain in my left leg, which is still present when I walk. I can say that this race was at least as hard as my first couple of 5Ks. Which I guess makes sense, since it was the first time increasing the distance. I am so undecided on what to do for next year now, as I was planning on signing up for four half marathons through Team Ortho. I was a bit bored (thanks to Fit Radio crapping out on my half way through AGAIN. I have uninstalled that ap for the second time!) with just six miles and that's not even a quarter marathon (a half marathon is 13.1 miles, full is 26.2). I have to decide soon, as the first half would be on New Year's Day.

My bib

Starting line
My final results were better than I thought. I had so much trouble late in the race, that it was all I could do to keep running. My pace plummeted. My last mile was 11:14! What a difference from the first, when I felt so good. My final chip time was 1:02:47, and gun time 1:03. The chip time is from the chip on my shoe and measures from the start line to the finish line. Gun time is from when they yelled "Go!" until I crossed the finish line. I never get in the front row of runners, I figure I'll get trampled. I finished as racer number 352 out of 523. Not too bad, and a good starting point, I guess, but I ended 6:47 behind my goal from my last training run of six miles. It was a bit defeating to hear Endomondo announce "four minutes, 47 seconds behind goal time" at five miles. Yeah, like I can make that up in one mile!

No comments:

Post a Comment