Saturday, March 16, 2013

Shamrock Shuffle


I have been very neglectful of my body the last couple of weeks. I thought I would be able to get back on track during Spring Break, but ended up staying up late and sleeping in all week. I've actually been feeling guilty, like I am throwing away all the work I did over the last year to lose 60 pounds. Last weekend I realized that the next NR Centre Running Series 5K was today and told myself I'd get running this week. That didn't happen, and I went into this race without training at all for the last 2+ weeks. I tried to carb load a little bit last night with some spaghetti, but when it's paired with two chocolate bars and hot dogs, I don't know how much good it does. My dryer has been broken for almost two weeks also, so I ended up having to dress up for work on Friday and my dress shoes gave me a blister. 

Needless to say, I went into this race not expecting much. 

As we lined up at the starting line, the coordinator of the race stated "The plows went through, and just sanded the roads, so the conditions should be....fair...or a little less than fair." Sadly, he was quite correct that the conditions were again very slippery. I am really missing my YakTrax! This course was an out-and-back, which is new for me. Part of the Diva Dash in November overlapped, but not the whole course. I wasn't sure I'd like that, but I really did. Having the course broken up like that made it seem shorter and allowed me to know when I was close to the finish line. This series is in an unfamiliar city for me so when they give the overview of where the turns are it means nothing to me, but when I'm backtracking I can easily remember how far away the finish line should be from where I am at the moment. 

My legs ached (and currently still ache) as much as they did when I ran the 10K in November. At mile two, I looked at Endomondo and saw that if I made mile three in nine minutes I could reach my goal of a sub-thirty minute 5K. I tried hard to push myself to that goal, but I just couldn't do it. I ended up with a 31.10 time, which is up from 30.32 at the last race. I have one more in this series and the coordinator "promised" great weather. Hopefully I can reach that 30 minute goal. I have five weeks until that race. In the meantime, my school is putting on a 5K in three weeks and I found a free trail running series that starts in four weeks. I'm not sure I'll participate in the trail series, as I've never done a trail run but I have it on my calendar just in case I am able to sneak away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment