Sunday, September 1, 2013

Half Marathon Training

I have six days until my first half marathon. I think I made a mistake by buying my Pear Device. It's a good device, but I didn't work well using the heart rate zones as measurement. I lost a lot of time on my pace, and decided that it's not the best route for me. I have been running without it for a couple of weeks now and already noticed an increase in my pace, which makes me feel much better.

I am very nervous about running the half next week. I think my biggest two concerns are finishing and not needing a bathroom break. It's a small race, so I'm not sure there will be bathrooms available within the route. My only goal for this race is to finish. I don't care how long it takes, I just want to cross that finish line. I have anxiety that I'll be so slow the finish line will be all packed up, and everyone on their way home by the time I get there. Hopefully I'm just nervous because the longest I've run is ten miles and I'm not sure I can make it another 3.1 after that.

I took a few days off from running and added a bunch of new songs to my iPod to try and get my enthusiasm back for this race. While I didn't hear any of the new songs on this morning's run, I did feel much better during the run, increased my pace, and enjoyed myself again. It's been a while since I've actually enjoyed a run.

Here's what my current run summary looks like today:

While I know my training is supposed to taper off close to the race, I'm hoping those two long breaks don't hurt me in the end. I guess only time will tell, and if I am really slow it just means it'll be easy to PR next time, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment