Thursday, December 26, 2013

2013 Year in Review

As I look back on my 2013 goals, I admit to defeat. I only accomplished TWO of my goals. While that is sad and frustrating, it does give me a great place to start in my goals for 2014. This past year was the first year that I set goals, so I really didn't know where I was at when I set them. Here's where I think I faltered...

Goal 1: Run a Half Marathon-MET. I'm a little amazed that this was one that I was able to complete. Although the race didn't go as well as I had hoped, I did learn a lot from it, and I DID finish it so the goal was met. I learned to pick a bigger race, as the tiny one I ran had so few people that I was by myself on lone country roads for most of it, which made it feel even longer than it already was. I also learned a lot about training and fueling for such a long run. I will definitely be looking into long run fuel sources as I start out 2014.

Goal 2: Run 1000+ miles. Yeah, I totally fell off the training wagon and failed miserably at this one. I got in a whopping 315.1. Epic fail. I'm thinking 500 next year, and that may be a  big goal. I think I thought I could get to it because of my half training.

Goal 3: Get to Goal Weight. Fail. As I fell off the running wagon, I grabbed several cases of doughnuts on the way down and haven't stopped eating since. I've actually gained about 10-15 pounds and am very frustrated with myself because of it. I have big plans of being at my goal weigh by my cousin's wedding in July.

Goal 4: 5K PR-MET. Finally, another goal met. I did keep PRing during my spring 5K races.

Goal 5: 10K PR. I actually ended up not even running a 10K. I struggled to find a half that I could afford to enter and just let this one go. I am constantly baffled by the cost of racing, and have become very picky about the races I enter because of cost.

Goal 6: Sub 30 min 5K. This is the one that hurts a little to say I didn't meet. I was so close last spring, and just lost my running mojo. I took so much time off that I have gotten slower instead of faster and feel like I'm starting all over again. This is ridiculous, as I have to remind myself that when I started I couldn't even run one minute without puffing and gasping. I still have a long way to go to get back to my previous pace. I intend to master this goal in 2014.

Where to go from here? Well, I should set my goals for 2014 and then actually get myself out of bed to run when my alarm goes off instead of laying on the snooze button. Here are my 2014 running goals:

Goal 1: Sub 30 min 5K. I really think I can do this one. I just have to start pushing myself. I'm hoping the Esprit de She will be the winning race. It isn't until July, so I have 202 days to train, and 5 races in the New Richmond Racing Series to help me get on track.

Goal 2: 5K PR. If I don't get to goal 1, at least I hope to improve.

Goal 3: Log at least 500 miles.

Goal 4: Reach goal weight.

I think I'll leave it at that. My finances are very iffy right now, so I don't want to put in any longer distance goals for racing and not be able to afford to try for them. In all, I think these goals are attainable, but I will have to work for them. Hopefully my 2014 Year in Review will be much happier than this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment