Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014

Well, here we are at the beginning of another new year, and I am not so happy with where my health is. I am frustrated with myself, as when I was at the height of my weight loss I thought it was so easy, why hadn't I been doing it all along? And now, I'm paying for those thoughts with laziness and lack of motivation. However, with renewed motivation thanks to the new year, the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans, and friends also restarting their Lose It! accounts, I am hopeful that this year will be MY year. I decided to start small, with short term and long term goals, so that I have things I can check off the list as I go, instead of just looking for the end prize like I did last time I lost weight. I got down to 158 last time, and am saddened that I am back up to 180. It is certainly my own fault, with horrible eating and lack of exercise. I haven't ran in a month! That's crazy for me, who was running 5-6 days a week for about a year. I am also rededicating myself to publicly posting what I've been up to here. I know not many people read this, but maybe my readership will increase and everyone can help me be accountable for my goals. 


I did day 1 of the Sisterhood's January fitness calendar; Squats & Pushups, and also their day 1 photo challenge, which I hope to keep up and post here. Here are their calendars for these two challenges. 




In addition to these motivators, I will be starting to use RunningAHEAD again. I love this site. It is not just for running, despite the name. I put in my training plan for all my exercises, and it will email me what I need to do the next day and what I was supposed to do that day. I get my email on my phone, which makes it very easy to remind me what to do. I reference the email as I am working out to see if I have done everything I told myself to do. I don't know why, but seeing it in print makes me more motivated to actually do it. Once the exercises are completed, I can log into the site and mark them completed. If I feel like it, I can even record things like how I felt, the temp, wind, etc to manage how well I push myself in different situations. 

With all of this in mind, here are my short and long term goals, starting NOW-because tomorrow never comes.

Short term;
  • Stop drinking soda. My husband is solidly addicted to soda, and lately I have been noticing myself grabbing a can out of convenience instead of going to get water. How hard is it really to go to the sink? I will stop. NOW. 
  • Stop eating sweets. I know, many of you are thinking just use portion control, don't deprive yourself! However, I have no portion control. I'll tell myself "I'll just have one Oreo" and the next thing I know a whole row is gone and I have a gut ache. So. NO. More. 
  • Find [and use!] more healthy Crock Pot meals. Let's face it, with a full time job, three kids between the ages of two and five, dance class, gymnastics, Awana...the Crock Pot is my BFF. So many of those recipes are in fact a disaster for my healthy goals. I have one cookbook that is healthy Crock Pot meals, but most of them are very high in calories. 
Long term;
  • Meet my 2014 running goals; Let's face it, this is how I will stay motivated to exercise. I have to stay the course this year, and not accept laziness like I did in 2013. 
  • Get a good night's sleep every night. Now, this is not totally up to me. Like I mentioned above, I have three young kids. There are simply nights that they are sick or needy and I will end up with them. However, I will no longer stay up late to read or watch Netflix when I should be working on my solid eight hours of rest. I hope to be in bed-lights out by 9:30-10:00 on weekdays and 11:00 on weekends. 
  • Run 313 days this year. Yep, I just added that. It's a lofty goal, and one that I'm not positive I can reach, but if I do, it will mean I averaged one rest day per week and ran six days a week. I did that once. I can do it again. I can also see life getting in the way of this one. 
  • Exercise e.v.e.r.y. single. day. Today I did the Squat/Push up challenge and planked for one minute. Not huge, but it felt good, and remembering how good it feels will be a key to my success and ultimate victory over laziness. 
I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with some of these goals, but I feel that goals are meant to stretch us and if I'm certain I can easily attain them all they won't me making me work for them. So, here goes nothing, bring it on, 2014!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, awesome, and I'm totally going to check that app out! You said it, here goes nothing 2014!! Shrinking jeans sistas, yeah!

    xo Becky
    www.miseenplaceblog.com

    ReplyDelete