Sunday, January 5, 2014

PAD #4: Fitness Gadget

I have been trying to decide whether or not to buy a fitness tracker. I've wanted a FitBit Flex for years and even posted on Facebook asking if any friends had one they were looking to get rid of. A friend turned me on to the Misfit Shine, which is the round one in the photo. I also looked in to the Jawbone Up a little bit, but wasn't as impressed with the features of that one for the money. Looks and flexibility wise, I love the Shine. It can be worn on a clip on clothing, on a bracelet, or as a necklace. It is also a clock. I am concerned that all three of the reviews I read mentioned the tapping process of working the device to be touchy and frustrating. I also wish it could sync to more systems. I would have to use one of my work iPads for syncing, as it only works with iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch devices. It also syncs into it's own "Shine Points," which I think would be annoying to get used to and transfer into calories and whatnot for my own tracking purposes. I like the functionality of the Flex better, but let's face it, it's ugly. I'd love the automatic syncing to Lose It! and it's own website, but I'd also have to charge it (the Shine uses a button cell battery that lasts 4-6 months), and I'd have to wear that ugly thing on my wrist every day. I got as far as the check out on the Misfit site and had second thoughts. I've also been bidding on both the Shine and Flex on eBay. So far no luck striking a great deal there. If anyone reading this has any experience with any of these devices, I'd love feedback before buying! I am extremely poor, so this is a huge decision for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment